Marriage License and Minister Credentials

Marriage License

Age 18 or Older:  Couples wishing to obtain a marriage license must provide proof of age. Please bring one of the following: a valid State or Government issued ID, this may be a driver's license, state id, passport, etc. No waiting period is required for those persons over the age of 18 before a license may be issued or the ceremony performed.

Age 16-17: Parental consent is required. One parent or legal guardian of the 16-17 year old must be present. The parent, if divorced, must show proof they are the custodial parent (court filed divorce decree or temporary custody order)and provide a valid photo ID. Legal guardian must show Letter of Guardianship and provide a valid photo ID. Birth certificate and photo ID are required for minors. There is a required 72 hour waiting period. You must apply for your license and come back after 72 hours to obtain the issued license. Exemption is only by written waiver signed by a Judge.

Age 15 and Under: Marriage for ages under 16 is prohibited in this state unless by a court order.

Divorce: Persons divorced in Oklahoma may not marry anyone other than their previous spouse for a period of six months after the divorce decree is filed. A Certified copy of the filed divorce decree will need to be presented at the time of the application.

Blood Test: Oklahoma law no longer requires a premarital blood test

Residency: There are no residency requirements

Time Sensitive: The license is valid for 30 days from the date of issuance. The completed marriage license must be returned to the Court Clerk's office within 30 days from the date of issuance. This may be done in person or through the mail.

Wedding Ceremony: Judges in Logan County do not perform wedding ceremonies. 

Fees: The cost for a marriage license is $50.00 cash or credit card. If premarital counseling is completed, the cost is reduced to $5.00. 

Premarital Counseling: A letter on letterhead showing the named persons have successfully completed the required number of hours must be presented at the time of filing the license to receive the discount. O.S. 43 §5.1

Name Changes: On the marriage certificate, the full name by which a party shall be known after marriage may be any combination of the legal first, middle, and last names, given names and surnames, of either party, including segments of names or initials, with or without hyphens.  However, the marriage certificate shall not be used to change the name of a party to an entirely different name which is not derived from the legal name of either party.  O.S. 43 §5

Minister credentials                         

Effective November 1, 2022

Minister's no longer will register their credentials with any county in the State of Oklahoma.  

The new statutory language simply requires the person performing the ceremony to certify on the marriage certificate that they have the authority to solemnize the marriage.  

Oklahoma Statue: O.S. 43 §7