Small claim suits may be brought for amounts in controversy not exceeding $10,000.00. Small claims are one of 3 types:
- Money Judgement:- plaintiff asks for past due money (ex. Loans, damages, or to reclaim personal property)
- Forcible Entry - plaintiff is asking for back due rent and/or seeking possession of the property
- Replevin - plaintiff is asking for property or the money value for the property
Forms: are available online under forms or at the Court Clerk's Office.
Filing Fees: must be paid a the time of filing.
Service Fee: the defendant will also need to be served notice of file of a small claim action. There are 3 choices for that service:
- Sheriff: an additional $50.00 fee payable to the Court Clerk's Office
- Private Process Server: you will be responsible for getting the paperwork to the private process server and taking care of their fee with them. A list of the Logan County Process Servers is available online.
- Certified Mail: an additional $10.00 payable to the Court Clerk's Office. The defendant will have to sign for the document to show personal service.